This time of the year, the deer are moving. With farmers harvesting, that means deer are looking for new places to hide. As an insurance agent, we get reports of deer accidents very frequently. In North Dakota, you are not required to legally report a deer hit to the police unless it is over 4k of damage. To be covered for a run in with a deer, you need to have comprehensive coverage as part of your insurance policy. If you should swerve to hit a deer, your insurance claim would actually be filed under your collision piece in your policy.
· On average, there are between 175 and 200 fatalities and over 10,000 injuries every year caused by deer accidents.
· The odds of hitting a deer with a car in the US are 1 in 116.
· Deer kill approximately 120 people a year.
· About 80% of the hunting population hunts big game, as the deer hunting statistics reveal.
· The cost of deer related accidents rose from $162 to $4314 in just one year.
· Hunters kill approximately 6 million white-tail deer living in the wild every year.
· The average lifespan of a white tail deer in the US is 435 years.
· Every year, deer travel approximately 3000 miles.
· Some deer herds can have 100,000 members.
Posted on November 19th, 2021